Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Until we meet again, Pop


My dad, 86, passed away from us yesterday. He leaves his wife Nancy of 63 years, 5 children, their spouses, seven grandkids, two great-grands.
He was a loving husband, a good father, a diligent worker, a sometimes difficult man, extremely modest about his achievements, a great cook, WW II combat vet (Iwo Jima/occupied Japan), quick with the one-liners and loved to laugh.
He fought hard to live through various illnesses and disabilities, including blindness, in recent years. He fought until he was too tired to fight any more. He said, “Let me go.”
We did, Daddy, we let you go.
You would hate me to say this, but that’s too bad. You were a great man where it counts most: a great husband and father.  You were a true representative of the Greatest Generation.



5 comments:

  1. I read this on BlogHer yesterday, and just ache for you, Melanie. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Melanie. I'm just catching up to this and I am so terribly sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the day my mother told us that my father had said to my mother he was tired of fighting the discomfort of living with pain. He asked her, please, if he should pass, to let him go and don't try to revive him. When my mother found him and called the paramedics, and they asked if they should try to revive him, my mother said "no." She wanted to honor my father's wish.

    Your father is resting now. I believe with all my heart that he is in a better place.

    Big hugs to you, Melanie,
    ~Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart aches for you and your family. Wishing you all peace and fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very sorry for your loss. This is a lovely tribute to your father.

    ReplyDelete