Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Playing Mom & Dad's Song



Do you remember the song that was playing during an important event in your life? What was the event and the song? Do you and your significant other have a song that you call "yours"?

Nat King Cole was singing on the jukebox when my dad asked Mom to marry him.
The song was "Nature Boy." They were married for 63 years until Dad passed away on Saturday.
I looked up the lyrics and found that many other singers covered the song: Frank Sinatra, Sarah Vaughn, Celine Dion, and others.
Here are the lyrics to "Nature Boy," by the eccentric composer eden ahbez.

There was a boy
A very strange enchanted boy. 
They say he wondered very far, very far
Over land and sea
A little shy and sad of eye
But very wise was he.
And then one day,
One magic day he passed my way.
And while we spoke of many things,
Fools and kings,
This he said to me,
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return.”

2 comments:

  1. I remember this song. My mum always played the classics for us, and this was one we would sing together on road trips, back in the day. Such memories there. Thank you for stirring them up for me. I need to play this for my kids, now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would play this song, included in my Nat King Cole's greatest hits album, almost every night when I went to bed. I would load my old record player (it played 45's and 33's.

    Ahh, the memories come flooding...!
    ~Virginia

    ReplyDelete