Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

My Picks: Seven Natural Wonders

*Prompt thanks to MamaKat via Katie @Sluiter Nation

The Seven Great Natural Wonders of My Life
 I went with landscape wonders. Bringing in people or animals would be a whole ‘nother ballgame.

7. Deception Pass Bridge, Whidby Island, Washington state, USA
6. Yellowstone National Park. If you haven't been there, GO!
5. the view of Lake Sunapee from my grandmother’s house in New Hampshire
4. the approach to Cobh, Ireland, & Cork Harbor from where my g. grandfather likely sailed to America
3. anywhere along the coast of Cornwall, England
2. the ocean-side beach at Ocracoke Island, North Carolina, with a pod of dolphins cresting
1. on top of the Wasatch Mountains in Alta, Utah with the snowy 360 view of Salt Lake City, Heber Valley, and the arch of cloudless blue sky. I hung my head over and heard the wind blow*. :-)

What's on your list?

* apologies to the old song, "Down in the Valley" reprinted below. You may know the song as "Birmingham Jail." Burl Ives sang a version of it when dinosaurs walked the earth and I was a young girl. I actually love the song despite my sarcasm. We sang it in elementary school, back when they had music teachers! "Put your arms round me, give my heart ease." Love that!

Down in the valley the valley so low 
Hang your head over, hear the wind blow 
Hear the wind blow love, hear the wind blow 
Hang your head over, hear the wind blow

Roses love sunshine, violets love dew 
Angels in heaven, know i love you

If you don't love me, love whom you please 
Put your arms round me, give my heart ease 
Give my heart ease love, give my heart ease 
Put your arms round me, give my heart ease

Write me a letter, send it by mail 
Send it in care of, the Birmingham Jail 
Birmingham Jail love, Birmingham Jail 
Send it in care of, the Birmingham Jail

Build me a castle, forty feet high 
So I can see her, as she rides by 
As she rides by love, as she rides by 
So I can see her, as she rides by

Down in the valley, the valley so low 
Hang your head over, hear the wind blow

3 comments:

  1. 1. Rockbound Lake, Castle Mountain, Banff National Park, Alberta
    2. The redwood forest, Crescent City, California
    3. Maligne Lake, Jasper National Park, Alberta
    4. The Northern Lights
    5. The Three Sisters, Canmore, Alberta
    6. The breakwater at Discovery Bay, Jamaica
    7. My treehouse, back on the acreage west of Edmonton, Alberta

    Thanks for this trip down memory lane. Makes me feel like going back home, for a little while :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great list. I haven't had a chance to explore Canada yet, but I would love to one day. I had Crescent City on my first list, but replaced it with Whidby Island!
    I haven't seen the Northern Lights, either. They were visible here in a freak event not long ago, but I was fast asleep.
    Thanks for sharing-- the list was fun for me to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everywhere in Yosemite, especially the big trees (redwoods).

    The coastline in Big Sur, CA (especially Point Lobos).

    Angel Island view of San Francisco and the Golden Gate.

    The Grand Canyon and the Painted Desert.

    ReplyDelete