Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

No-hands Spirit of Abandon


Here’s something great about Nablopomo: it compels me to notice. Driving home from work today, a motorcycle passed me on the four-lane. As it came by me, the rider put his right hand out, and I assumed he meant to move to the right, reentering the lane in front of me.

When he didn’t change lanes as I expected, I looked again. He had both arms extended. He was riding with his arms outstretched, letting the wind run through his fingers. I smiled and thought—Nablopomo worthy. Then my practical side added—he must have cruise control. And excellent balance.

Like a kid on a banana bike, he was in “look Ma, no hands!” mode. It was warm today—70 degrees. The sky was an excellent shade of Carolina blue, the road was straight, and he was having a blast. I was too, just watching him go.

So here’s to blue skies, hands-free abandon, straight roads, and noticing. Thanks, Nablopomo.

10 comments:

  1. I can almost feel that wind racing to be first to run through my fingers! Great image, thank you! One of my favorite things to do on mild nights is open the sunroof and crank up the heater while cruising down the freeway. I love feeling the wind whip through the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a convertible for a week once in the olden days. It was during the winter and my gf and I cruised with the top down and the heat blasting. Thanks for reminding me!

      Delete
  2. Reading your post I can capture that feeling..Thanks for reminding me this morning. And Thank you for your kind words on my post. My dad is in my life..however..my stepdad (don't like that word either)..is that guy that is always there..Didn't they hang the moon? Have a wonderful weekend full of arms open wide fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your weekend is the same! I may do something I haven't done in ages-- stop at the beach on the way home from work.

      Delete
  3. Sweet post! You make me want to do the motorcycle thing again - too practical and too busy these days - DAMN! I love the blue skies, hands free living - it's time to do more of that. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, gosh, were you born to be wild, too? I haven't been on a bike in years, but several of my female students ride Harleys. I live vicariously through them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All this discussion about motorcycle-riding, and me, with my post which included the statement about "Easy Rider." I sure had it reversed, but that's a good thing.

    Here in Cali, we have our Redwood Run each June, in which thousands of Harleys take to Highway 101, which runs through Laytonville, en-route to French's Camp for the annual weekend rager. They've been at it for at least the thirty years we have been up here, and it's actually kind of fun to travel in the midst of them, albeit, twenty miles per hour slower. Thanks for noticing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right about blogging daily making you notice things. I'm really enjoying more aware of my surroundings! My husband has a Triumph and he rides all year round, but here in Washington, it does get a bit wet and cold. That first warmish day of spring, he's in heaven and I start planning my first ride on the back. Thanks for the blue sky, warm air reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm at once in awe and super scared for that guy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No hands in the sunshine is a glorious feeling (of course, I did it on a ten-speed, when I was 11--and I did it primarily so I could READ on my way home from the library, but...)!

    And I'm totally with you in that daily posting really forces me to pay more attention to my daily life and everyone around me.

    ReplyDelete